Monday, February 27, 2017

Who Is Hannah Elisabeth?

Who is Hannah Elisabeth? Let me give you a little insight to why this name was chosen for this blog.

Hannah and Elisabeth are two women that we read about in the Bible who became mothers later in their lives. Hannah was mother to the Prophet Samuel and Elisabeth was mother to John the Baptist. It is not certain at what age these two women became mothers but we do know that they mothered two men who did great things according to the scriptures.

Hannah is one of two wives according to I Samuel chapter one. Peninnah is the other wife and has children, sons and daughters. We know that it is at least four because scripture tells us sons and daughters and that would mean at least two each. She wanted a child. It was the desire of her heart but she could not have any because the Lord had closed her womb.

Can you picture it? Hannah is taunted constantly by the other wife because she does not have any children. Hannah cries herself to sleep. She cries when she sees Peninnah's children playing with their father. She cries when she is doing the dishes. She'd really rather not be around the children because she is reminded that she can not have any, but as the custom of the day was, everyone helped everyone in the family. Her heart is so grieved that she can not even eat. Her husband, Elkanah, loves her dearly and is troubled that she is hurting.

It is time to go to the temple. We find Hannah, in verse thirteen, praying so fervently in her heart that she is moving her lips but no sound can be heard. The priest, Eli, supposing that she is drunken, approaches her and begins to question her. Hannah responds to his questions by letting him know that she is not drunken, that she has not drank wine (pure juice from the vine) nor has she drank strong drink (fermented juice or alcoholic beverage). She continued by saying that she is a woman that is of a "sorrowful spirit" and had "poured out my soul before the LORD." She bargained with the Lord that if  He would give her a son that she would give him back to Him. With every fiber of her being she would raise him for God. Time at the temple for sacrifice is over and they go back home. God honors her prayer and gives her a son the next year. She raises him until he is weaned when she keeps her vow of giving him back to the Lord. Can you picture it? Samuel is weaned from taking suck, typically around three, and she takes him to the temple. Her heart is broken but full of gladness too. She leaves Samuel at the temple with Eli the priest to be taught the things of God in the temple. Samuel becomes a Prophet and a judge over the house of Israel.

Now, there is the name of Elisabeth. As we have learned in Luke chapter one, Elisabeth and her husband Zacharias the priest were without a child. As with so many who want children and can not have them, they prayed for God to give them one.

Can you picture this woman? She goes to market and sees the other women with their children following behind and prays that she could be a mother. She goes to the well and sees all the younger girls and younger women and prays that she could be a mother. She goes to the river and sees the other women teaching their daughters to wash the clothing and prays that she could be a mother. Her younger years have passed and Scripture tells us that they are well stricken in age. We don't know how old they are exactly but I picture a couple in their forties but they are likely much older. As Zacharias is doing his priestly duties he is told by the angel Gabriel that their prayers have been heard and that Elisabeth would have a son. Do you suppose that since their prayers were going to be answered that they prayed for a son? A specific prayer for a specific child? Maybe even the color of his eyes and hair? Zacharias is told all about what kind of son he would have. A son who would preach, "to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." And behold, time passes and Elisabeth is pleased to be a mother. Can you see the joy in her heart? Or the smiles on her face? Would you suppose being a mother was a desire of her heart? John the Baptist becomes the man God uses to prepare the Way for Jesus Christ.

Okay. Those are the stories of the two women behind the name but why were they chosen instead of my own? In my younger years I wanted children but was unable to have any. I had been told "IF" I should have any it would take a very long time to conceive because of the way my female organ was angled. I was also told that once I did conceive and was able to carry a child to term that I would need to be more cautious because then I could conceive very easily because a term pregnancy would put my female organ where it needed to be. I wanted children. It was the desire of my heart but the Lord had other plans. I remember in my younger years being like Hannah and crying myself to sleep. I didn't want to be around children because of the reminder that I couldn't have any of my own. I had a very wise Pastor's wife who told me in love that I was being selfish. That I was missing out on blessings of helping others who needed help who had children. And she was right! Thank you, Mrs. Patricia Olivas, for seeing what I could not see.

Now. Elisabeth was older. How do I relate to her? Well, you see, I was forty-two when the Lord blessed my husband and I with the news that I was now going to become a mother. I gave birth when I was forty-three to a son who had sea blue eyes just like his grandfather, my husband's dad and nickel sized curls. His eye color and curls were answers to prayers from years earlier. My Lord threw in a blessing and gave him three colors of hair already parted. Now my little miracle man couldn't wait to see his father and decided he would be born almost seven weeks early. He spent three weeks in the NICU before he could come home but what a miracle. He was absolutely gorgeous! Just when we were settled that we were blessed enough to have this one son God threw us a curve and we learned that we would once again have another child. At forty-five I gave birth to another son. Our double blessing. I mentioned that I was told that once I had a pregnancy to term that I could conceive easily? This has been true. Although we have only the two sons there have been many pregnancies, all between the two sons and after the second son. we would love to have had each child but I praise God that He has been so gracious to my husband and I to have given us these two sons. Both love the Lord and love each other. My little miracle man talked to our double blessing daily and they are as close as two brothers can be.

I have met others along this journey who have heard my story and have thanked me for sharing because it had given them hope for themselves. I say this only to say that God Is still answering prayers and will answer in His timing and in His Will. Don't give up! Stay faithful and true as He is faithful and true.

It is well with my soul. Is it well with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is Well With My Soul.