Thursday, July 20, 2017

Scripture A.B.C.s

When our oldest son was barely able to talk my husband and I wanted to begin teaching him scripture so I sat down and looked up verses that would speak of his faith, his delight, and the Word of God, etc. Each verse is just a portion of the verse.  We will add the entire verse for memory work as our sons grow older. By the time my oldest was three he had approximately 50 verses memorized including these. Our hope and prayer is that our boys will hide God's Word in their heart's so that they 'might not sin against God'.

So, I thought I would share the Scripture A-B-C's that we have used to teach our boys. I realize that there are a lot of them out there that people use but maybe as you read these you will see why these verses were chosen.

Scripture A-B-C's
A.V. 1611 - King James Bible

A.  ...All have sinned (Romans 3:23)
B.  Believe on the LORD Jesus Christ
      (Acts 16:31)
C.  Children, obey your parents in the       Lord (Ephesians 6:31)
D.  Delight thyself also in the LORD
      (Psalm 37:4)
E.  Enter into His gates with  
      thanksgiving (Psalm 100:4)
F.   Fear ye not, stand still, and see
      (Exodus 14:3)
G.  Give attendance to reading (I
      Timothy 4:13)
H.  Holding forth the Word of life
      (Philippians 2:16)
I.    An idle soul shall suffer hunger
      (Proverbs 19:15)
J.  The just shall live by his faith
     (Habakkuk 2:4)
K.  Keep thyself pure (I Timothy 5:22)
L.  The Law of the Lord is perfect
      (Psalm 19:7)
M.  Mercy and truth are met together
      (Psalm 85:10)
N.  I will never leave thee (Hebrews
     13:5)
O.  Obey them that have the rule over
      you (Hebrews 13:17)
P.  Pray without ceasing (I
     Thessalonians 5:17)
Q. Quench not the Spirit (I
     Thessalonians 5:19)
R.  Rejoice in the Lord alway
     (Philippians 4:4)
S.  Study to show thyself approved
     unto God (II Timothy 2:15)
T.  Trust in the Lord with all thine
     heart (Proverbs 3:5)
U.  Uphold me according unto thy
      word (Psalm 119:116)
V.  This is the victory that
     overcometh the world, even our
     faith (I John 5:4)
W.  Let the Word of Christ dwell in
      you richly in all wisdom
     (Colossians 3:16)
X.  Exhort one another daily
     (Hebrews 3:13)
Y.  Yield yourselves unto the Lord (II
     Corinthians 30:8)
Z.  Be zealous therefore, and repent
     (Revelation 3:19)

Just as other parents are pleased when their child hits a home run or plays their first piano recital, I love to hear my sons quote what they have learned from the bible. As our sons learn scripture it is an absolute delight in my heart to hear them preach these same verses on the street, as well as in the church house. 

I do hope these will be a blessing to you.

It is well with my soul. Is it well with yours?

1 comment:

It is Well With My Soul.