Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Oh Lord, Help Me to Be...

Firm but not harsh;
Realistic but not skeptical;
Scheduled but not rigid;
Pure but not proud;
Close-mouthed but not unfriendly ;
Appropriate but not stiff;
Funny but not frivolous;
Teachable but not gullible;
Flexible but not scatteredbrained;
Humble but not pious;
Kind but not compromising;
Dependable but not dull;
Decisive but not stubborn;
Persistent but not needling;
Precise but not picky;
Simple but not foolish;
Demanding but not intolerant;
Thorough but not unkind;
Human but not wordly;
Spiritual but not impractical;
Generous but not irresponsible;
Enthusiastic but not "hyper";
Honest but not brutal;
Fair but not unloving;
Proper but not unreal;
Confident but not snobbish;
Bold but not brazen;
Busy but not harried;
Active but not shallow;
Deep but not dry;
Wise but not intimidating;
Intense but not forbidding;
Empathetic but not uncontrolled;
Forgiving but not naive;
Sympathetic but not pitying;
Helpful but not condescending;
Penitent but not paralyzed;
Organized but not bossy;
Spontaneous but not inconsistent;

Lord, I guess I am asking to grow in favor with God and man. I am asking You to help me become a balanced person. Amen.

(Written by Marlene Evans in 1979 during Sunday School at First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana after her preacher said something that caused her heart to respond in earnest pleas.)

Oh, dear Jesus, this is my prayer. I wish to be what you want me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is Well With My Soul.